In this article, we’ll show you the best AK peep sights available online today as well as the best AK rear sight upgrades and AK night sights that are far superior to the stock rear iron sights.
Many of these AK sight upgrades incorporate tritium day/night sights that improve daytime shooting as well as shooting in low-light conditions. A few of these AK rear sight upgrades include an upgraded front sight post in a complete set.
What is an AK Peep Sight?
Aperture sights are a popular AK rear sight upgrade that many prefer over the stock AK slot cut open sight design.
Often referred to as an AK peep sight or Ghost ring sight, which is a type of aperture sight used on AK rifles as an upgrade that does not come standard on AK rifles.
Consisting of a small hole, or aperture, through which the user looks to align the rifle with the target.
This type of rear sight is considered more accurate than standard open sights and is favored by many competitive shooters for their speed in target acquisition and accuracy.
The main advantage of using peep sights on an AK rifle is that the small aperture allows for more precise aiming than open sights or other types of aperture sights.
This makes them ideal for long-range shooting where accuracy is critical.
AK Rear Sight Upgrades
For those looking to keep their AK rifles looking stock and don’t plan on using an optic, these AK rear sight upgrades and front post/ rear sight combos may be just the thing you’re looking for to help achieve better accuracy when shooting your AK rifle.
These upgrades are easy to do at home on your workbench and are a worthwhile expense if you’re wanting to keep the weight down on the already heavy AK platform.
AK Peep Sight Ghost Ring Sight
We are always the first to recommend an AK peep sight, also known as a Ghost ring sight, for those looking to change out their open sights to something that will help them acquire targets more quickly and shoot more accurately.
Below is our favorite option in this category.
#1 GG&G AK47 Ghost Ring Replacement Sight
For those who don’t like rear sight notches, GG&G offers this amazing-looking ghost ring replacement sight that measures 800 meters.
- Lifetime Warranty
- Easy installation
- The perfect sight upgrade for AK pattern rifles
- Replaces the factory-furnished U-notch rear sight with an AK Ghost Ring aperture for faster, more precise sight alignment
- Graduated to either 800 or 1000 Meters
- The rear aperture size of .200"
- Uses the original elevation slide, and is a direct replacement for the original AK rear sight
- All edges have been deburred for the shooters' safety
- Manganese phosphate in a non-reflective combat finish per Mil-Spec
Ghost ring sights make it easier to aim accurately than standard notch sights. They also improve your ability to focus on the front sight post to ensure more precise shooting and target acquisition.
The model in question is 800m (870 yards), but you can also get a model that extends to 1000m (AKs aren’t as effective beyond 400-500 yards).
However, the 800-meter model should be sufficient. The installation is the same as other rear sight replacement options.
AK Night Sights
These AK night sights are the perfect iron sight upgrades with added Tritium inserts on the rear notches and the front sight post when sold in the combo set.
If you’re looking to update that old AK iron sights system with something a bit more modern, look no further than these bad boys.
Add the functionality found on modern handguns with Tritium inserts on the front and rear posts to bring your aim into the 21st Century!
Below is a list of our most highly-recommended night sight upgrades for your AK rifle.
#1 Kensight Rear Sight Trijicon Tritium AK Night Sights
The Kensight rear AK night sights replacement leaf will allow you to see well at night, allowing you the ability to find targets under the cover of night.
- Setting your sight to suit your needs is made easy with the Kensight AK Rear Sight Trijicon Tritium Insert Night Sight w/ Adjustable Tangent.
- These sight inserts are manufactured by the experts at Kensight
- Fits all original Soviet AK-47 pattern, Norinco 56S, & Poly Tech AKS rifles.
- Wire-EDM machined from a single billet of 4140 chrome-moly steel
- Ultra-smooth adjustments, audible clicks for both windage & elevation
- Graduations marked from 100M to 1000M like the original tangent rear sight
- Fitted with Trijicon 0.076 green tritium inserts
Simply remove the stock sight leaf, and replace it with this one from Kensight.
#2 Kensight AK Night Sights Variant Combo Set w/Trijicon Tritium inserts
This combo made by Kensight includes both the rear AK night sight leaf and front sight post upgrade for those who want a better 3-dot sight picture.
- Quickly acquire your sights day or night while equipped with these Kensight AK Variant Rifle Sight Set Trijicon Tritium Insert - AK-47 Night Sights.
- Kensight wire EDM machined these AK Sights from 4140 chrome-moly steel to create a remarkably strong platform.
- Wire-EDM machined from a single billet of 4140 chrome-moly steel
- Ultra-smooth adjustments, audible clicks for both windage and elevation
- Rear tangent sight fits all original Soviet AK-47 pattern, Norinco 56S, & Poly Tech AKS rifles
- Graduations marked from 100M to 800M like the original tangent rear sight
Get the benefits of modern-day and night sights found on handguns for your AK rifle. Reviews for this front/ rear sight combo are incredibly positive, as the below comment attests.
“Fits perfect and looks great. Couldn’t ask for anything better. The Trijicon Tritium AK Night Sight are a perfect addition to my firearm. In addition I also purchased a folding stock and muzzle break.”BDRELGN
#3 Meprolight Tru-Dot AK Night Sights for AK47
Looking for an affordable solution to combine night sights and other features? Meprolight TruDot AK night sights are a cheaper alternative to the Trijicon tritium inserts.
- Self-Illuminated Night Sight - No batteries or switches, always ready when you need them
- Operates under all weather conditions
- The brightest night sights available today
- Totally integrated day and night sighting
- Maintenance free
- Can be mounted directly with no weapon modifications
- Over 4,500,000 systems are in use, worldwide
- Tests by marksmen show an increase of over 85% in hit capability
- Strongest worldwide comprehensive warranty in the industry
These sights still perform well and make great upgrades to stock AK iron sights. They can also be adjusted for windage or elevation.
Mostly good reviews for this rear/ front night AK sight set. We found a comment that echoes our sentiments on this combo by the reputable Meprolight brand.
#4 XS Sight Systems Express Tritium Rear AK Night Sights
This XS AK night sight system will be a big hit if you are looking for a unique rear sight system to fit your AK.
- The XS AKM Express Rear Sight is designed to replace the AKM rear sight, but can also fit AK-47 varieties.
- The AK-47 is graduated out to 800 meters while the AKM is graduated out to 1000 meters.
- The XS rear sight will overhang slightly if installed on the AK-47 (ex. Norinco).
- It will not fit the Czech Vz.58 rifle or SKS.
The tritium day/night vision is fully adjustable and has a set screw that can be adjusted to center it.
“A great sight for the AK platform. Instant target acquisition and accurate to distance.“William S
#5 Meprolight AK-47 AKM Pattern Rear AK Night Sights
This Meprolight sight post is a great option if you want to save money and have only AK night sights at the front sight.
- Perfect for low light conditions, the Meprolight AK-47 AKM Pattern Front Night Sight Blade makes a great fixed sight for improved rapid instinctive aiming.
- This night sight by Meprolight fits the AKM pattern AK-47 rifles in 7.62 x 39 caliber.
- Unequaled Low Light Performance
- Brightest Night Sights Available Today
- Used by Military & Law Enforcement
- All sights are covered by a 5-year usable illumination warranty to the original purchaser
“Good night sight if you like to keep it simple. A little big but it gets the job done. I’m using mine with a peep sight without too much trouble but I’m not looking for sub moa with this product. Installation is easy as you would expect and the tritium stands out just fine in low light.“Lear
It can be installed easily with an AK sight post tool, which you can find on Amazon by clicking the button below.
AK Rear Sight Rail
Another popular upgrade that replaces the rear AK sight blade is an AK rear sight rail that can be easily installed by removing the stock AK rear sight leaf.
This is great for adding a small red dot optic to your AK that puts it in a great position without adding much weight or causing the rifle to feel out of balance.
Adding an optic to a rear sight rail will keep the optic stable while holding zero and increases your field of view which will help your situational awareness.
It also doubles as an iron sight so you don’t lose any functionality when replacing your AK open sights. Below is the rear sight rail we recommend the most when asked.
#1 Samson AK-47 Rails – AK47 Rear Sight Rail
Are you looking to replace your rear sight leaf with a solid rail that will mount your red dot sights? Samson accepted the challenge and created a steel optics rail made from super strong and durable steel.
- The Samson AK47 Rear Sight Rail is made from steel.
- Samson has designed this rifle scope mount to fit all AK47 models with a rear sight.
- The Samson AK47 Rear Sight Scope Rail features a rear sight picture for see-under optics, allowing you backup use of iron sights
- Mounts directly to rear sight mount
- Rear sight picture for see-under optics
- Allows backup use of iron sights
- Fits AK-47 models with rear sight
It can be installed on your rear sight block and allows you to use the iron sights thanks to its transparent v-notch design.
Although it is a little pricey, you won’t be disappointed with its build quality and functionality. The comment below is a common experience with owners of this rock-solid rear sight rail.
Well, that does it for today’s post. Be sure to come back often for more recommendations for your AK!