In this article, I’ll be covering all the best biometric shotgun safe options as well as answering some important questions that people often ask about these types of safes.
To answer the question straight away, biometric shotgun safes are indeed a quick and safe storage solution for your home defense shotgun setup and are just one important piece of a multi-layered home defense strategy.
Check out our newest article that covers our layered defense strategy and provides lots of security ideas for your home.
Related Post: Gun Safes | 2022 Complete Buyer’s Guide
Is a biometric gun safe worth it?
Biometric safes that stand vertically make great shotgun storage-type safes and, for some, a quick access deployment safe. If you want to see other types of tactical shotgun-safe options, look at this article.
Barska is a top maker of biometric safes that can work great with shotguns or long guns with backup key access. The Barska HQ800 model comes with an easy-to-access key just in case of a low battery condition or a problem with the fingerprint reader (which is unlikely).
Later in this article, I’ll give you some other budget biometric safes and another type of electronic safe that works similarly to a biometric safe. It’s always good to know every option before you choose a safe for your firearms.
Is There A Good Tactical Quick Access Safe?
There most definitely are good tactical quick-access safes currently on the market. If you’re in a stressful situation where you might have problems quickly inputting a code in a dark room, a biometric safe is an ideal option for quick access as well as storage.
What is the most reliable biometric gun safe?
If you want the best of the best, then I have the safe for you! There is a zero-compromise tactical safe that will reliably give you access to your firearms and it’s the Vaultek RS500i WiFi Biometric safe. It features 4 Quick access points: a 20% OVERSIZED smart Align biometric scanner, a Smart Key nano, a rapid-fire 8-digit backlit keyboard, and manual keys.
The automatic opening front door gives you instant access to valuables, documents, and firearms. All will be linked below. This is a great option but, in my opinion, there is one better for those on a tighter budget that I’ll show you in a bit.
If you are on a budget, Barska makes some suitable biometric shotgun-safe models for consumers. Another good feature of Barska Safes is that you can store up to 120 fingerprints, allowing only select users access to the contents in seconds without the need for a combination or a key.
Are biometric safes safe?
Modern biometric safes are as reliable as electronics and batteries will allow. Just look at how much better fingerprint scanner technology improved on smartphones before they got replaced with face scanners.
A biometric shotgun safe could function as a tactical deployment safe, especially the Vaultek. For those with eyesight problems that are worried about stressful conditions (and may have difficulties remembering a code under stress while quickly typing in a code without making a mistake), a biometric safe could be a lifesaver!
So, to answer the question, a biometric safe definitely makes an excellent option for your firearms.
Do I need a safe for a shotgun?
In some states, it’s the law to have firearms locked up, especially if there are children in the household. A biometric shotgun safe is a perfect tool for these situations. So absolutely, a biometric shotgun safe is a must-have for properly protecting your weapons!
Best Biometric Shotgun Safe | Top Picks
If I were to choose a biometric safe for my shotguns today, these would be the ones I’d choose. I’ll also show you another type of safe that would make for a great defensive type-safe; the Hornady Rapid Safe gun locker with RFID touch-free entry.
Hornady’s RFID reader gives you all the benefits of a biometric safe and more since it also has a keypad and backup key access. So here are my top picks, from safes on a budget and one recommendation which is an RFID non-biometric safe. These will be your best options available in 2022.
The Best Of The Best Biometric Shotgun Safe
If you want the best biometric safe for your shotguns, then look no further! You won’t find a better biometric safe than this one by Verifi. Tested to meet FBI standards for next-generation identification standards.
High-resolution 508 DPI fingerprint images with anti-spoof 3d surface skin recognition, i.e. living tissue verification. This is the one to get if you are serious about reliability.
- Tested and certified by the United States FBI to meet the Next Generation Identification (NGI) standard for fingerprint image quality.
- High-resolution (508 dpi) fingerprint images.
- Anti-spoof, 3D technology works below the surface of the skin to recognize living tissue.
- Recognizes worn, dirty, or delicate fingerprints that many optical sensors won't
- Customizable storage for 5 long guns - includes 5 padded gun barrel holders & an adjustable storage shelf
- Extra space in the door enables two AR/AK-style rifles to be stored with their magazines attached
Vaultek’s Best Biometric Shotgun Safe
Now, if you can afford the price, I highly recommend the Vaultek Biometric safe. Vaultek is a solid builder of safes and is known for high-build quality safes. If this safe is over your budget, I’d recommend the Hornady which is a non-biometric safe but functions well in low light or stressful situations the same way a biometric safe would.
Then, I’d recommend the Barska if you are on a budget. If you need an even larger safe then the RPNB biometric safe gives you more storage options.
- Large interior can store up to (5) rifles. Tough & rugged 14-gauge carbon steel construction using Vaultek's exclusive metal forming technique features a durable finish to prevent corrosion & ensure long-lasting protection.
- Advanced anti-theft protection features include (4) solid steel locking bolts, anti-pry bars, ruggedized interior hinges, & Impact Detection for the ultimate prevention against break-ins.
- 4 Fast access points with the 20% OVERSIZED Smart Align Biometric Scanner, Smart Key Nano, rapid-fire 8-digit backlit keypad, & manual keys. Instant access to your valuables, documents, & firearm(s) with the automatic opening front door.
Best Budget Biometric Shotgun Safe
Barska’s biometric shotgun safe is worth checking out. It features a biometric fingerprint scanner that can store up to 120 different fingerprints with an external battery pack for easy battery replacement (you wouldn’t want them inside the safe, trust me).
For those that won’t put their lives in the hands of a fingerprint reader, it does come with 2 keys for quick access just in case the batties or biometric reader fails. Remember, with smaller safes, bolting them down is 100% necessary, and with Barska, it comes with all mounting hardware.
- Advanced Biometric Fingerprint Technology
- Shops can store up to 120 fingerprints
- Internal Removable 4-Position Rifle Rack
- Programmable silent access mode
- 3-Point Steel Dead Bolt Locking Systems
- Removable accessory shelf
- Uses 4-AA batteries (Included).
- Outer Dimensions: L x W. x H inches: 8.6in x 9.8in x 52.17in
- Inner Dimensions: L x W. x H inches: 6.3 in x 9.3in x 51.5in
- Included are Mounting Hardware, 2 Backup Keys, and an External Battery Pack
- Weight: 66 lbs
Best Large Biometric Shotgun Safe
Now, if you need more shotgun capacity, then the RPNB biometric safe is a great option. It features a robust design at 112 pounds, and pre-drilled holes with mounting hardware as bolting down a safe is the only option if you want to protect your firearms. Think pry-resistant door steel door. RPNB is the go-to biometric safe if you need something a little larger.
Top NON-Biometric Shotgun Safe Pick
Hornady’s rapid safe with RFID touchless entry is my next non-biometric top pick. Hornady’s Safe has 3 optional pathways to gain access. The quickest is the RFID reader with the patented RFID technology providing unmatched security from unauthorized users.
Simply place the included RFID wristband, key fob, or decal over the safe’s reader to immediately open and retrieve your firearm.
It also features a touch keypad as a backup to the RFID. In case of a no power condition, 2 circular barrel keys are provided making this the best pick for quick access shotgun safe with redundant safety
- Hornady Rapid Safe AR Gunlocker is convenient, tamper-proof security!
- This gun locker provides the same convenience & tamper-proof security as our other rifle Rapid Safes, but in a fully enclosed design.
- Its front-end spring-loaded door makes it a great companion under a bed, in the back of an SUV, or mounted in a closet.