In this article, we’ll be giving you our in-depth and hands-on review of one of those safes: The RPNB biometric desk-mounted pistol safe.
In 2023, we purchased and thoroughly vetted 18 gun safes (over $4,000 worth out-of-pocket) testing a wide range of pistol and rifle safes from popular manufacturers to bring you a comprehensive buyer’s guide in the affordable gun safe market.
You’ll learn everything you need to know about this popular pistol safe through our hands-on experience with it.
Quick Video Review
Here is our quick video review of the RPNB desk-mounted pistol safe dispenser that goes over everything you need to know about this affordable self-defense pistol safe option.
RPNB Biometric Desk-Mounted Pistol Safe Safe Review
Let’s see what this little pistol dispenser has to offer and whether or not this pistol safe made it into our recommendations list!
In The Box
The RPBN desk-mounted pistol safe dispenser is packaged well in a nondescript black box with minimal branding.
Inside, the contents are well protected with some thick, heavy-duty cellulose foam that does the job of keeping the safe from dents, dings, and scratches.
Here, you can see the entirety of the package contents.
Comes with an owner’s manual, two backup barrel keys, mounting hardware, and one pistol dispenser.
We really like the look and feel of the texturized black paint job on the RPBN pistol dispenser. The aesthetically pleasing lines are very clean with no visible dents, dings, or scratches to speak of.
The backup key functions well inside the lock and feels secure when the lid is closed. Thanks to its uncommonly small size, it should present a problem for lockpickers to find the right tubular pick to gain access.
The keypad and biometric scanner are combined into one small unit and are made out of a high-quality plastic fascia that doesn’t feel too cheap and looks cool.
Here, you can see how it snugly fits my Glock 22 inside of the pre-cut foam panels with plenty of clearance.
Mounting a handgun with an optic shouldn’t be a problem and there’s likely enough room to fit guns with flashlights mounted (though you may need to hollow out the foam a bit if the fit is too tight).
Setup & Programming
The RPBN biometric desk-mounted pistol safe dispenser is super easy to reprogram. The factory code is “1-2-3-4” and should be changed as soon as possible. Here is how that’s done:
Reprogramming the keypad code:
- Step 1: Open the safe with the default code (1-2-3-4) to open the lid, locate the “program” button, and press it for 3 seconds.
- Step 2: Enter a 4 to 8-digit code of your choosing, then single-press the “program” button and the lights will flash. Close the lid and check that the code works.
After successfully programming your new keypad code, it’s time to register the master fingerprints.
Registering your fingerprints:
- Step 1: Same as the keypad reprogram, press the “program” button for 3 seconds, and place your finger of choice on the scanner until you hear a “beep”.
- Step 2: Repeat this process (for up to 50 scans) and register the same fingerprint multiple times at different angles to achieve the best performance per finger.
- Step 3: Check to see that every fingerprint you register successfully opens the safe every time.
- Step 1: To enable “Silent” mode, press the number 1 keypad until you hear a “beep”. Now your pistol dispenser will be in silent operation and you won’t hear a beep sound when pressing buttons.
As can be seen in the picture below, the RPNB is a single-duty pistol dispenser that can accommodate most full-size handguns and revolvers of equivalent sizes.
It houses my Glock 22 perfectly, and that is a pretty large .45 handgun. We were able to easily fit just about every handgun in our collection inside of this safe.
It may not fit really small micro guns as securely as larger pistols but it doesn’t seem to affect usability due to its drop-down design.
Pros & Cons
Here is our full list of pros and cons concerning the RPNB biometric desk-mounted pistol safe dispenser.
What We Like:
- Responsive biometric scanner
- Easy to program
- Lots of mounting options
- Multiple use-cases versatility
- Nice fit and finish
- Good build quality
What We Don’t Like:
- Not very pry-resistant
- Biometric reader isn’t the best in class
- Rather noisy opening mechanism
Who This Safe Is For
The RPNB biometric desk-mounted pistol safe is a quick-access dispenser designed to be mounted in a bedroom, closet, furniture, or even in a vehicle for defensive purposes.
This is not a high-security safe device for pistol storage, so don’t expect it to withstand pry attacks for long or use it for storing your weapon unsupervised.
It should ideally be used while you’re at home asleep for those bump-in-the-night situations where speed of access and location of your firearm is paramount.
The key takeaway of this review is that this pistol dispenser is a great, cheap, and practical solution for those seeking to have their defensive pistol nearby on the off chance that they should need it.
The RPNB biometric desk-mounted pistol safe dispenser is not going to win any theft prevention awards but it is going to be a reliable pistol dispenser using one of the three methods of gaining entry into the safe.
- Quick Access: 500 DPI Semiconductor Biometric Fingerprint Sensor in any gun safe captures high-resolution fingerprint images with an excellent match speed of less than 1 second for extra-fast entry
- Handgun Safe: If you have young children who don’t understand the potential danger of firearms, it’s essential that you keep them safely stored. Placing them in this Pistol Safe is a responsible way to properly secure your small firearms at home or on the go
- Desk-Mounted Design: Slim Vertical Design stores great under a desk or nightstand, discreetly on a bookshelf, or inconspicuously in a vehicle. For added convenience, mountable from the right, left, or top side, depending on the desired preference
- Tough & Rugged: Expertly crafted using sturdy steel construction, the RPNB handgun safe will provide long-lasting strength and use for years to come. It also features an anti-corrosion black finish for a durable, professional appearance, making it easy to incorporate into any interior space
Our final take on the RPNB biometric desk-mounted pistol safe is mostly positive. It passed all of our biometric functionality tests reasonably well, though it doesn’t read dirty fingers as well as others we’ve tested.
For the money, we think the RPBN is a great option to consider and it should perform as intended should the time come to access your defensive option.